Friday, June 3, 2011

Time and Distance


Stop and smell the wonder old cabbage roses
In my case, time and distance don't have to be more than a couple of hours of sunshine and fresh air on the deck.

Schmetz Topstitch 80/12 and my clear crosshatch foot
I lugged my sewing machine over to my next door neighbour's a few nights ago and showed her my ugly FMQ stitches. She suggested I try a new needle, but I'd already done that. But, I had an old discarded needle with me, so I figured, a change is as good as a holiday, right? I put the old needle in and everything that followed just went slick as snot! The devil, you say!

Not great, but not bad
Well, d'uh. Why does the light always come on after the tantrum? The discarded needle was a Schmetz Topstitch 80/12 - the eye is bigger than the Schmetz Universal 80/12 that I had been using with this 40 wt. thread. I guess the larger thread was having trouble getting through the smaller eye. Ya think? The tension cleared up instantly.
I just wanted to quilt. Nobody told me that I'd have to become an expert on thread and needles as well!
Rusty being laid back - doesn't happen often

Enough whining. The quilt is finally getting quilted and the stitches don't look too bad. Now, if only I can get my hands and feet and head co-ordinated and moving in the same direction at the same speed at the same time...
Looks like I'll have plenty of time to practice before the new thread I ordered from Sew Sisters in Toronto arrives. Mail stike. :-(
Until next time,

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes I spend so much time trying to make something work, and I am unwilling to try something as simple as changing a needle, thinking the problem lies either with me or the machine!

    Your stitches are looking great, by the way! And I love your kitties!

    ReplyDelete