Thursday, November 15, 2012

It’s a snap!

12Nov15bag1 The last two weeks have been insane with work and work-related stuff and I’ve barely had time to sleep, let alone look at the sewing machine. Things seem to be getting back to normal now – or as normal as it will be until Christmas is over.

But last Saturday, I managed to put some time in sewing Christmas presents. This is one of them. A fairly simple bag, but I did a double pleat pocket on the front – with magnetic 12Nov15bag2 snaps! First time I’ve used snaps. And they worked! Too bad you can’t really see them here – black on black isn’t all that good for illustrating. But I’m pretty happy with how it looks.

I went for wide sides because I want wide tabs on either side of the zipper. No other outside pockets. I considered making some others, but I have more Christmas presents to make, and I can’t spend all my time on this one. I reinforced the bottom thickness of batting by using layers of Thermolam on both the outer fabric and the lining. Don’t know if it’ll make much of a difference, but there’s only one way to find out.

Inside the pockets are pretty simple as well – two large pockets on one side and 12Nov15bag3 three smaller pockets on the other. Not very fancy, but those snaps are pretty neat, and my stitching is much better than it has been with past bags. I still have the zipper to fit along the top (see – I barely flinched when I said the “z” word) and straps to put on. Oh, I also remembered to put an inside strap with a D-ring in there. Next one will be even better. That’s the way it’s supposed to work. And actually, all of the other bags I’ve made this year were just practice for these bags I’m making as Christmas presents. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

Karin tagged my last post and invited me to play a little Q and A game with her. Karin, I’m not ignoring you, I’m just trying to catch up first. Hopefully, I’ll have some time this weekend.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment