Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Look at meeeeeeeee

11Nov1ginger Like most cats, Ginger has to be the centre of attention. Even if she’s been sitting on my lap for the past hour. Here she is holding down two pieces of a compass rose while I take a picture of them. This is the centrepiece of Nancy Rink’s Mariner’s Watch, a paper piece pattern that was featured in the June/July 2011 issue of Quilt. I had put it away for another day when I felt more able to do what looked like a complicated pattern (actually, it wasn’t complicated after all), but I was looking for something to do a couple of weeks ago and decided to give it a try. I still haven’t attached the centre piece to it, nor the outside piece that forms the square. The instructions weren’t part of the magazine instructions, so I guess you’re just supposed to know. Or else buy the entire pattern. I’ll figure it out.

I’ve been working on this little wall hanging since September. It was supposed to be a raffle prize but the raffle came and went and I’m still working on it. Only, there’s no longer a rush to get it finished. Don’cha just love that? Anyway, while I’ve been debating how to quilt it, I was thinking of the quilters who place a large transparent overlay on their top and sketch out their quilting stitches on it, and it came to me that I could turn a photo of my hanging into a black and white line drawing (because it’s small enough to fit on a page and still be large enough to see clearly) and do the same thing. I use Adobe Photoshop to process and store my photos, and I used the filter called “photocopy”.

11Nov1doodleA 11Nov1doodleB I don’t know if I’ll stitch it like I’ve drawn, but it’s a start and a really good way to get over the indecision on how to start.

11Nov1leaves Fall is upon us and Winter approaches. The winds have been cold and nasty for the past few days, and although I finally fastened down the bird feeders in the front yard so the seed won’t get dumped on the ground this year, the wind has destroyed my little greenhouse on the deck. It’s two years old and the wind has left the cheap plastic roof in tatters. I repaired some tears last Spring with clear book binding tape, but this is beyond repair. Nothing to do but salvage the nice long zippers and try to sew a new cover for it next year.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment