Wednesday, September 14, 2011

At the Fair

Remember the cartoons where the Roadrunner or Yogi Bear or Snagglepuss, Elmer Fudd or whoever would run on the spot and kick up a cloud of dust before disappearing? Well, that's me, except I haven't been getting anywhere.

There has been so much going on here that I've barely been near my computer in the past two weeks. Friends and family think I've gone to live on another planet. And they might be right.

Things around the house are finally getting settled as my partner and I get back into a routine. He's been living and working in another town 90 minutes away for the past three years, and the cats and I developed our own daily routines. Now we have to regroup. We've lived further apart over the years as we try to keep both our careers afloat, and this one was actually a pretty good arrangement, as our nearest “big city” was right between where he and I were living. So, whenever he came home on the weekends, he could stop in Kamloops and pick up whatever we needed in the city.

Now that he's retired there won't be too many more of those trips, with the price of gas being what it is. We'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary in February!

It's not that there hasn't been anything to write about - there's been a pile of stuff happening, and several projects that I've been working on. Most of it will have to wait for another day. Plus, my right shoulder quit working on Saturday and made life and work a bit sluggish for a few days. A few twinges here and there, but it’s mostly functioning back to normal now. For whatever reason.

However, our annual Fall Fair was held on Sunday and I managed to get pictures of the quilt exhibits.

11Sept14alice

This is a beautiful little quilt created by Alice Durksen. She was convening the quilt section, so this wasn’t entered for judging. She was in Japan last Fall and she bought a little cotton hankie showing Kanagawa oki nami ura – The Great Wave Off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai. I’ve always loved that picture. Anyway, she used her fabric and built around it until she had a gorgeous little wall hanging.

11Sept14deb

Deb Tuohey entered this little quilt she made of her late mother-in-law’s silk scarves. Beautiful. Deb is very creative and lots of fun to be around. And she’s a great baker, too – she owns and runs the local bakery.

 

 

 

 

 

11Sept14gerryGerry Anderson did this Lone Star. I didn’t even know she quilted! She’s another business woman in town and runs the local work clothes store.

 

 

11Sept14jim Jim Duncan made and entered this little baby quilt. He and his late wife, Gloria, used to be my next door neighbours until they moved down the road to another little town close by where they bought a Bed and Breakfast. Gloria was a fantastic quilter. She passed away just over a year ago and Jim wanted to use up some of the fabric she’d left behind. Very nice. I’m wondering what he’ll come up with next.

11Sept14michelle Michelle Allen has been quilting for some time, but I think she prefers the machine embroidery aspect most of all, from what she’s told me. She’s also one of the local village administrators, so she doesn’t have a lot of time to quilt. But when she has spare time, that’s what she loves doing. And apparently she has a “thing” for Winnie the Pooh!

 

11Sept14farm I’m afraid this quilt will remain ownerless. The name tag is on the other side, but the Tai Chi group were doing a demonstration over there while I was taking the photographs. I nearly got trampled a couple of times by getting too close to them, so I didn’t get to see whose quilt this was. It looks like a special entry for this year’s farm theme.

11Sept14alice2 And this one didn’t have any identifying tag on it, so it may have been just there for display – which means that I can guess who entered it, but I wouldn’t want to say and be wrong. I like the colours. And everything is so straight!

So, that’s what I did on Sunday. Hopefully, I’ll find some time in the next few days to show you what else I’ve been doing!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment