Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Starry eyed

Ta da! I finished my first paper pieced sqare. It's a Carol Doak design from one of her books - which one, I'm not sure because my next door neighbour and partner in crime, Judy, borrowed it from the library and ran the pattern off for us. (But if you want to see more of Carol's designs, you can find them at her site .)

I started it over a month ago and then got sidetracked with other things. Trying to remember where to start after a long break was a hassle. After three or four false starts, I watched a few video tutorials and read some instructions (if all else fails...), and it finally came back to me. I'm happy with it. Don't know what I'll do with it, but it's done. Guess I'll add it to the wall with my other extra and practice stars.

The April/May 2011 Quilt magazine has a paper pieced mariner's compass pattern by Nancy Rink that I just might try. I've always adored the look of the mariner's star but it has always looked so out of my league. It's still out of my league, but what the heck?


My very own sewing machine cover
 It actually smells like Spring out there today. There's still snow here and there, but the ground is finally thawing and there's a hint of rich, fertile soil in the air. And the sunshine is glorious. Hope it is where you live, too.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment