Thursday, October 6, 2011

Best month of the year

11Oct6square I’ve come to realize over time that pulling out stitches is just part of quilting. Everyone I speak to is an experienced frogger, so named because of the rip-it stitch. I’ve been doing that a lot lately, and the worst part is that it’s my own fault. I’ve been trying to use squares that I’ve cut just a fraction of an inch too small by mistake. And rather than toss them aside and cut some more the proper size, I’ve been trying to persuade them to stretch just that extra hairline. As a result, I have some gaps in my seams where the fabric didn’t meet, big enough to poke my finger through.

11Oct6squares I am combining two paper pieced squares to make one different square, so I am adjusting the size of the cuts as I go along. I was trying to use up the first strips I made, but it’s time to cut the proper size. I hate wasting material about as much as I hate having assorted strips and pieces of fabric lying around with no plans for it, but oh well. I’m happy with the colours, and happy with the shape of the square. Just not the finger-sized gaps.

October is my favourite month. It has three of my favourite holidays - Thanksgiving, my birthday and Hallowe'en. And Rusty and Ginger’s birthday, too. I love the changing colours of the leaves, the dry rustle of them in the wind and the rain that makes everything smell li11Oct6appleske sweet decaying compost. I love being on the receiving end of the neighbourhood bounty – backyard tomatoes and squash and carrots and the end result, pickles, etc. I love seeing the pumpkins and sweet corn still in the field. I love to see all of the excited children in Hallowe'en costumes at my door and the magical nature of the night once the children have all gone home. It’s sad to see the flowers die off and everything turn to brown, but I look forward to Spring with anticipation of seeing them all again.

11Oct6cats Rusty and Ginger enjoying the afternoon sunshine.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment