Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Trick or Treat

13Oct9bag I sat down at my sewing machine on Saturday after what seemed like an eternity, a summer full of house renovations that took so much of my time. And if I wasn't painting or moving things around, there was so much renovation "stuff" lying around and on top of my sewing area that I couldn't get to it.

13Oct9skinny1 So when I sat down at my machine (renovations are nearly over), it felt like I was starting all over again. So, in keeping with that theme, I cut four pieces of material and I cut them ALL the wrong size. Just like I was starting all over again! Turned off the sewing machine and didn't go back to it because sometimes days are just like that. The next day I measured up the pieces that I had cut and downsized the project. And this is what I made!

13Oct9skinny2 It's a cute little (should have been bigger) Halloween Trick or Treat bag. You can get the free pattern/tutorial here . The pattern is sooooo simple - which makes it all the more maddening that I cut the fabric wrong. Must remember end conversations with Rusty while he's sitting on my sewing table before I do any cutting because I really can't hold numbers in my head for very long.

Once I resized everything and made sure that Rusty and Ginger were occupied somewhere else, it went together so darn easy! My plan was to make several of them and 13Oct9skinny3 sell them at the Farmer's Market here in town. But there's only one Farmers Market left for the year, and there is no way that I'm going to have time to make up a batch of these to sell. Sigh.

I should give this one away - to someone who won't mind all of the defects (like, I had to use the salvage as part of the pattern in order to have enough). Here is Mr. Skinny modelling it for us. Mr. Skinny came from Mexico a few years ago, as a gift from my oldest brother and his wife who lived there at the time. (Anyone wanna buy a cute little house 13Oct9bagfabric in La Penita?) Mr. Skinny (not his real name) is a Dia de Muertos figurine. Anyway, he was having loads of fun deciding which was the best way to carry it. Ginger wasn't too sure about him because he was having way too much fun, so we took the bag away.

I thought, maybe I'll just use it to hold all of my Halloween fabric. Close, but no cigar. I discovered that I have just a teeny bit more than it will hold! I might have to go trick or treating myself this year just to put it to use.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment