Sunday, July 24, 2011

Peel me a grape

11July24cats I'm on holidays for the next two weeks – and not a moment too soon! I plan to do a lot of sleeping and hopefully a lot of quilting in between sitting on the deck and doing a bit of travelling. We were planning to head north to Fort St. John where we have family and friends, but that’s not happening now. Two and a half months of rain has created several washouts along the highway through the Pine Pass. And last night mudslides closed the highway between BC and Alberta, so we’re not going that way, either. We lived for many years in the Peace River country and always look forward to going back, but it’s just not going to happen this year.

That also means that I’m not going to be able to visit Piece by Peace Quilts again. I had a great time shopping there last year. I walked in on an awesome month-end sale and ended up with a pile of beautiful fabric. She thanked me for helping her reduce her inventory and I thanked her for the sale!

Last week I finished the lap quilt I’ve been working on for at least the past two years. I’ll post a picture of it later in the week. I went to print off a label for it on Friday before tossing it into the mail and my printer wasn't working (out of ink) – so I used a fabric marker instead – Fashion Fabric Marker by Marvy. Got it at Michaels and this was the first time I used it. It blurred all of my writing. Not to the point where you couldn’t read it, but it didn’t look very good. I wasn’t impressed.

I’m making progress on the Mexican stars (thanks to the vacation). I was also playing with the finished quarters and thinking of some of the possible variations on this block:

11July24aa Just a star without the cross.

11July24a

Or a diamond…

11July24stars

But this is what it looks like so far. I’m hoping that the purple cross (it looks blue here) won’t be too overpowering, but them’s the chances you take. I’ll know in a few days whether I made the right choice.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment