Thursday, February 18, 2016

Word of the Week - Retirement!

As of last Friday, I am retired from my career of almost 40 years! My time is my own now and I almost don't know what to do with it. Almost. I know that I need to retain a bit of structure, but I'm giving myself a week off before I start making lists and plans.




It's hard. My mind is going off in all directions at breakneck speed. Thirty-seven-plus years as a weekly (and daily) newspaper editor made me think in terms of daily story lists and more deadlines than you might believe possible. People used to ask me how I found time for quilting: I told them I squeezed in a little bit here, a little bit there. But even that has become increasingly harder in the past year as company cutbacks and policies have pretty much claimed the last of my free time.




I've been cleaning up around my sewing table and cutting fabric for some more of these little bags. This is a late Christmas present for my music partner. Can you tell? (Hint - music staves and piano keyboards!). I also picked up a cold from a co-worker on my last day of work and on Monday I slept for 18 out of 24 hours. Guess I
needed it. Needless to say, my kitties were very pleased. But that's why I haven't done much at the sewing machine - too fuzzy headed from this cold. I cut some fabric, decide I don't want to use it and look around for something else to cut. I'm going to end up with a pile of tiny pieces and another project if I keep doing that.




Unless I get a surge of energy in the next couple of days, there probably won't be any sewing until next week - but I guarantee, there will be by then.


Until next time,




2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am jealous...all this time on your hands! I still have a little while to go...looking forward to see all those wonderful projects that you now have all the time in the world for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your retirement Wendy. Sleep in, relax, stay up late, wear pjs all day. :D Enjoy your well earned rest. Welcome to the best job you'll ever have. Now finally everyday is Saturday and you get to be the boss of you. At the end of this month I have been retired for three years and I just love it! I don't know how I ever had time to work full-time.

    ReplyDelete