Thursday, January 10, 2013

Finite space

13Jan10mess1 That would be a way to describe my sewing area. Mess would be another way. I used to have such a tidy little space when I first began quilting. All of my fabric fit into my cute little cube drawers. I don’t buy that much, honest! How did all of these piles of fabric accumulate? I don’t have enough drawer space anymore for it all.

13Jan10mess2 I’ve been at loose ends so far this year with my quilting, and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the mess. I know what I want to make, but I keep changing my mind about the fabrics. Then I change my mind about the blocks. I decide on the blocks, and then I have to go through the entire process of picking out fabrics again. I finally make something and I’m not happy, so I change my mind again!

And throughout it all I’m looking at this mess and it doesn’t encourage me to spend a lot of time at my sewing machine. Not to mention I’ve temporarily lost the chair for my sewing machine to another project. Sheesh!

13Jan10mess4 I did a bit of cleaning after I took these pictures and now I can at least stand at my cutting mat without having to take advanced yoga classes first. I need to do a lot more putting away, but first I need somewhere to put it. When I can afford it, I will buy another cube shelf. Until then, I’ll have to think of something else – alternatives that I don’t really like, such as boxes, but it’s either that or not do any sewing for the next three months. And that would be most unpleasant.

13Jan10mess5 Tomorrow is the first New Moon of 2013. The Sun and Moon cozy up together at 21 Capricorn – which is a pretty good sign for cleaning up! Capricorn likes everything nice and tidy – everything in its place. With labels! Maybe it will be just what some of us need to get sweeping! I mean, look at this beautiful fabric. It breaks my heart to see it sitting in bags and messy piles, unappreciated and without a drawer of its own. Capricorn is an earth sign, just like Taurus and Virgo. The earth signs are materialistic – no pun intended, really – and tends to collect items of value. If you are making a quilt or anything else under the influence of this New Moon, it will last forever. It may become a family heirloom. It will certainly be good enough to sell. Blacks, browns, dark grays are the colours of Capricorn. I’ve seen some beautiful 13Jan10mess6 patchwork quilts made only of those colours.

I’d better quit now before I talk myself into picking out fabrics for a new colour scheme! Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment