Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Blocks that celebrate

I don't have much in the way of pictures yet. I always have a bit of a lag after I finish a project, trying to decide what to work on next. Not that I have a long list to choose from - sometimes it just takes a while to choose. That, and my sewing area is usually so messy after a finish that clean up becomes a big job, and a big roadblock to getting started on something else. So, I've been cleaning. And doing a lot of doodling lately, practicing some freemotion designs. Next step is to transfer them to paper and run them through the sewing machine. Normally I just stipple, but I'd like to do something different. I have a laptop sandwich that has been waiting for months for some attention. I think I've found just the freemotion design I want to use to quilt it - just have to practice it a bit more.
Of course, there is always the danger of getting sidetracked on other projects. While cleaning up earlier this week, I decided I needed to practice my embroidery stitches. I used to do this when I was a teenager, but those days have passed out of memory - except that I still have an old cigar box full of cotton and silk skeins. You can guess how long it's been just by the 12 cent sticker on the labels.
So I found a suitable design from Homeberries which has lots of beautiful free patterns, and I added my own little house in the background. I got the idea from "calendar" quilts (one block per month) to make up a single 6x6 block per year to represent something in my life. This is the year we pay off our mortgage, so my house is in it. In 12 years I ought to have enough blocks to make a quilt! It's going to be part applique, part embroidery.
Rusty the quilt assistant, keeping a close eye on those stitches
Double checking every detail
Unlike Ginger, who keeps trying to eat my patterns and steal my pencils
But then, Rusty learned at the feet of Master Miao Yin for the few weeks they were together
Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment