Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A potion notion

13Oct15pair The Hallowe’en equivalent of a Mug Rug. I dunno. Couldn’t find anything appropriate to rhyme with goblet or cauldron…

I found the pattern for these cute little penny rugs in the October 2006 issue of BHG American Patchwork Quilting, a magazine I recently picked up at a second hand store. I enlarged the pattern a bit (129%) so that it measures approximately 9.5 x 13Oct15cat 11 inches. Cute enough to stick on a wall! The pattern includes the rug shape and pumpkin. I improvised on the second and found the cat outline in the May/June 1996 issue of Quiltmaker, and I found the bat online somewhere.

They aren’t made of wool, of course. Anyone who has a passing knowledge of wool can tell that. I’m still using craft felt (recycled plastic). The “blue” pennies on the cat mat are actually purple – they just showed up blue in the picture. I do have a small stash of wool, but it costs dearly and I’m afraid to cut 13Oc5t15pumpkin into it and ruin it all. One of these days I’ll work up the confidence.

And so, I’ve stunned myself, by finishing two Hallowe’en gifts with over two weeks to spare! They look so nice that I feel like making a couple for myself, but I have other things that I have to do, first. So much to do and so little time.

The only good thing about winter is that it means more time for sewing.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment